Sunday

Day 13:
This morning we went to church with Nomfundo, Philo, and Mazwi.  The pastor said “faith without action is dead” - prayer alone is inadequate.  Then he introduced us… and of course made me come up to the stage to talk to the congregation.  I cannot wait until I’m 50 years old and they’ve finally had enough of me.  You’d think after 7 years, they would quit making a big deal out of every trip that happens 6 times a year, but much to my dismay, the excitement somehow hasn’t worn off yet. So, I address them with my limited siSwati telling them how much I love the children and how it’s exciting to be so welcomed into their community and church.  Then, I thank them and sit down.  The pastor laughs and tells me I have not spoken enough.  Really?

Then he preaches that he was at an all-night funeral service so he is going to keep this short…and proceeds to talk for 2 hours.  Most of the congregation was falling asleep (it was HOT and he was long-winded) but I was intrigued.  At the end he tells us that he has finally learned why we are here in eLangeni from Nomfundo and he is proud of our work.  He said “listen, you are doing enough – but please don’t stop.  Keep working hard to get the funds needed to help this misfortunate country full of orphans.”  It’s nice to hear those kind words because as you look around and see physically handicapped orphans confined to a blanket on the floor, orphaned children wondering where their next meal is coming from, and orphaned kids who have never heard the words “I love you and am so proud of you” from an adult – you never feel like you are doing enough, I always feel inadequate.  It’s hard to justify going home to America in a few days to your Honda Element car, refrigerator full of food, and a handsome fiancĂ© who loves you more than life and would never consider a second, third, or fourth wife. (Thanks Ty!)  I have more than I need for sure and sometimes get uncomfortable trying to blend into the American culture of “deserving” more and never having enough. 


Afterward we spent time with the Msibi family.  We played hand clapping games, Crazy 8 card game, word games, and I hugged the crap out of Mpendulo (Nomfundo’s baby) and tried to teach him how to say my name (he’s only 2 months old… but I’m certain he’s a fast learner!)  Saying goodbye is the worst.  I always pray that health and happiness is on their side.  I pray that Mazwi has consistent access to the HIV drugs that will keep him alive, Sphesihle doesn’t have another asthma attack that may kill him, and none of the kids succumb to HIV, TB, or any other disease that may put a period in the chapter of their lives where I think there should only be exclamation points and smiley faces… But as the pastor said, prayer only goes so far.  I am so thankful to all of the Give Hope, Fight Poverty donors who make our work possible.  Those who turn our prayers and hopes into action.  Prayer alone will not keep Mazwi alive… but YOU DO!  And I will spend the rest of my life thanking you for that.  Mazwi is the keeper of my heart thus you are keeping my heart beating... www.ifightpoverty.org/donate.html

No comments:

Post a Comment