Friday

Day 2:
I didn’t sleep a wink last night. There was a wind storm so bad that it was setting off car alarms and making dogs bark.  Never any rain, thunder, or lightening – just Wizard of Oz style wind. Then the alarm went off (even though I had been awake for hours listening to wind whistling and dogs whimpering) to start our day at 6:30am, we realized that the winds knocked the electrical lines over.  There is no power.  We get ready in the dark and head out to start our day at the eLangeni Primary School. 

The cook, Susan, is the most hardworking incredible lady around.  The girls helped her cook sour porridge for the school lunch and as we were dishing out the 150 bowls for the 1st and 2nd graders, we realized that the “window” that opens to allow kids to walk up and be served was broken.  The wood rotted through.  This was a travesty because now the cook will have to dish on the inside of the building and carry all 150 bowls out 2 by 2 by herself and somehow still manage to serve all 150 children in 12 minutes so they have 8 minutes to eat and wash their bowls before they have to return to class. Mission impossible. 

So, thanks to your donation dollars, we hired the most charming rural carpenter to fix the window.  His name is Bheki and he has grown up in eLangeni but studied to earn his carpentry license.  He said he would spend 5 hours today fetching the materials from a neighboring city, cutting the wood, painting it, sealing it for the weather, affixing it to the hinges when the paint dried, and attaching it to the kitchen all for a whopping $10 USD (don’t worry, we paid him more than he asked for).  He did a beautiful job using his own tools and then carried his own power saws and paint brushes via wheel barrow up the steep mountain to his home afterward.  I told him that when I return in December with my father in law Garry, we will hire him to help us build furniture for all of our child-headed homes.  When Ty, Garry, Teresa and I are here for New Year’s we are going to perform Extreme Makeover Home Editions at all of our child-headed homes so they can have tables, chairs, and beds in their now empty homes.  And when I say “we” are going to do this, I mean Garry and Bheki are going to do this while Teresa, Ty, and I watch and play with the children! Ha!
We then went to deliver more food since the kids will rely on it until the next time we return in November (Thanks Mitali!).  We went to deliver to Nkhosingiphile’s house while she was still in school (I found it, barely, after driving up and down multiple treacherous dirt roads with people giving me directions along the way such as “ohhh, they live over on that side” – while pointing off into the ambiguous distance), but her deaf and impaired mother didn’t realize we had pulled up.  She couldn’t hear me knock or yell “Sawubona!!”  Just as I thought we’d give up for now, she came out randomly and saw me.  The first thing she did was order her son to climb her avocado tree and pluck while she stood below with a blanket to catch the amazing edibles, our gifts.  She did this all while coughing ferociously.  Her TB is back and she said every time she eats, she throws up.  I’ve been terrified for years that she was going to die, but she always pulled through.  Praying for another miracle…


When we reached Sanele’s house, he was ready for us with a smile and a gift.  He had painted two new beauties for me… A ship scene with dolphins swimming around it and a sunset scene over water where the sun reflects elegantly in the lake below.  I am so proud of this kid for his effort in school, his effort working to build the teacher’s quarters at our secondary school to help pay for his school fees, and his effort caring for his physically and mentally impaired brother who spends his days on a blanket on the floor while his loving brother is at school working hard in hopes to brighten both of their futures.  It was in Swaziland where I learned to love and learned what was important in life.  I often tear up when I think of our Give Hope, Fight Poverty kids and the amazing people they are.  I learn from them every day and I hope to grow more and more like them over the rest of my years.  I simply cannot imagine a better feat to aspire to.

No comments:

Post a Comment