Tuesday

Malindza Village Day!

This morning we loaded the car with donations to our usual overflowing capacity and drove to Malindza Village.  We arrived to 60 beaming children.  We started by hanging the new mural in the pre-school classroom (pictures to come).  Then we installed 3 brand new computers to add to our 17 laptops to complete the class set.  When I asked the students what the computers were, they immediately responded in unison, “television!!!!” Close, but no cigar.  I started typing words in siSwati and the kids yelled out what I was typing.  Then they practiced one-by-one typing their name and the name of their school - New Hope Primary – as the rest of the kids crowded around the screens in awe.   It’s hard to believe that only 2 years ago the children of this community hadn’t even experienced electricity and now there is the ability for these children, and the children to come, to learn computers.  I am humbled by the generosity of our donors and what those donations enable us to do for the children… the future of Swaziland. 


We then sized all of the new kids for their school uniforms and shoes.  We had two boys who were almost as tall as I am – both in grade one.  I asked what their stories were… the teacher told me that both boys’ mother died many years ago and their father didn’t have money for school so they never went.  Ever.  I asked what they did instead.  They worked.  I was so thrilled to be sizing them for their very first school uniform and, even though at 14 years old they tower above their 6 year old peers, I’m anxious to see how much they learn and what they become!  So grateful that the donations people provide for our school are plentiful enough to provide entirely free education to all of the orphans who attend – all of the way from teacher’s salaries and school lunches to uniforms, backpacks, and school supplies.  The children only need to show up and learn… temporarily forget about their struggles and for once, look and act like every other child who still has parents. 

Our local volunteer nurse said that most of the children’s skin issues are not due to infections rather extreme malnutrition.  The teacher said over 70% of the children never have food at home.  They never have anything to eat outside of the school lunches we provide through our generous FOODOM donor Mitali.  When we went to do our home emergency food deliveries, we started at Thobile and Xolile’s house (the home we built in December for the twins and their grandmother).  The grandmother was home and she grabbed my arm and dragged me to the home we built.  She pointed to the front step.  The teacher translated.  Gogo wrote “Now I no longer have to live like that, Praise be to God 01/01/2015”.  January 1st was when we finished the house; the very first house of her 53 years that wasn’t constructed of dirt, sticks, and rocks.    


Today, like everyday, I am thankful.  I am thankful for the generosity extended to Give Hope, Fight Poverty by donors and foundations.  I am thankful that the GHFP children are hardworking and determined to do their part to change their future.  I am thankful to serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment