Friday

Blog #2 December 2016 Team!

I was awake at 2am worried about getting everything done before we leave.  Tomorrow is NYE, the next day New Years, and the next day a Swazi holiday.  We leave the 3rd.  Tomorrow is the only day the shops are open. Somehow at 3am I drifted into a restful/stressed sleep until I heard munching.  It was Austin, the hungry caterpillar, crunching munching on pretzels loudly at 5am.  Goodmorning Team!

We went to deliver food to the pre-school and elementary orphans child-headed homes and as soon as we leave the Dancing GoGo’s home (for those of you who have been here, you know who I’m talking about!!) I hear a “thwap thwap” and pull over to see a huge thorn branch in my tire.  I pull it out thinking “No big deal” only to hear “Ppppffffffff” as all of the air escapes.  I put the thorn back in the tire and said a Hail Mary we made it to the spray painted building Maseko called a mechanic shop.  $2.50 later and a sketchy looking plug, we’re back in business!

We then bought 50kg bags of food for the New Hope Centre where we feed over 100 children 6 days a week.  The problem is carrying these bags to the kitchen from the car that can only be parked so close.  Usually my personal trainer husband carries the heavy bags where they need to go, but he isn’t here.  Tragic… Then, without any a moment’s hesitation, Maddy man handles the 100+ pound bags and carries them to their destination.  And she did it with a smile. 

After we left our Centre, we met Nomfundo, our village coordinator, and delivered 8 emergency packets of food to our high school students in Malindza.  Nonchalantly, she mentions 9 other orphaned children who have been forced to drop out of school due to the lack of fees.  She tells the intimate stories of a young girl who just graduated from grade 7 and her father is alive but he makes minimal money and refuses to “invest in a girl who will die before she is able to provide for him”.  Since when are our children an investment for ourselves?  How can we let her sit and rot when she is smart and determined to thrive?  We have another girl age 16 who is HIV+ living with her grandmother.  She lives too far from the school to walk and it is unacceptable for a female to ride a bike.  Therefore, she and her grandmother are eager to weave mats out of grass to sell for her bus fare, but they couldn’t weave enough mats in their lifetime to pay the $450 school fees.  How do you say no to that kind of determination?

Nomfundo asked that we add 5 kids to our Orphan Education Fund cohort.  But then we met them, and now we’ve added 9.  I am very thankful to Sube and Margaret LatchmanSingh for providing funds for their uniforms and shoes…. And to BahFed for their tuition.  As I hugged our new student Mthokozisi goodbye, I couldn’t help but think of how lucky I am to be the middle(wo)man who gets the best end of the deal.  I could live the rest of my life watching these kids succeed and receiving hugs as a “paycheck”.  As a teacher by trade, I have never learned more than when I am here in Swaziland - from those who are younger and less formally educated than I am…. Almost 10 years later, I am still learning about determination, love, empathy, and life from my favorite people on Earth.   www.ifightpoverty.org/donate.html   

No comments:

Post a Comment