Tuesday

Final day - July 2018!


This morning we dropped off medical supplies (N95 masks to prevent TB, gloves, and plastic disposable specula) to Baylor’s pediatric HIV center (thanks Hospital Sisters Mission Outreach!!). The waiting room was packed with patients, so we didn’t stick around for a tour.  Afterward we delivered laptops and books to Phonjwane Primary.  The brand new Usborne books, from Tiffany, were added to the library we built last month (Tiffany, now they’re all delivered – thanks so much!).  And the laptops are slowly starting to build a computer lab for the children.  Have any old laptops you’re willing to part with? I’d love to bring them here!

At New Hope Centre, we finally finished the plastic bottle privacy wall in front of the 4-stall toilet. Raymond’s team will finish the toilet portion on Thursday but it is framed and the roof was being installed today.  Yesterday and today we had visitors coming from the neighborhood to check out the construction.  They were amazed and thought it was beautiful.  They kept referring to it as the “toilet’s decoration”.  Haha  We are so glad that the 900 plastic bottles (Thanks for organizing the collection & storage of them all Beished!!) were repurposed rather than being burned as trash polluting the air, and that the orphaned children in the rural community now will have ample toilets preventing infectious disease.   

Thank you to everyone who has donated toward Nothando’s new home!  She and her younger sisters and nephew will soon be in a permanent cement structure rather than their stick, rock and mud hut.  I used the recent donations you made through Facebook to buy the materials for the foundation today.  Raymond is going to start on digging and laying the foundation next week when he is finished building the toilets.  Hopefully by December when I return to Swaziland we will have the rest of the money raised and can build the house then.  We’re still $3,300 short.  If you’d like to donate, contact me: anniefightspoverty@gmail.com or donate online: http://swazilandannie.blogspot.com/donate.html

Every trip to Swaziland, I encourage the volunteers to bring clothes and shoes they are willing to part with.  Throughout the week, we have been putting our worn clothes in suitcases. We then give the clothes to some of our sponsored kids who will wash and sell the clothes as a small business. On the way home, we delivered the clothes to Nomfundo and Mphilo.  When we were leaving Mphilo’s house, I stopped to take off my Nikes.  Beth & Kylie saw what was happening and followed suit.  We all walked down the mountain barefooted as Mary walked ahead warning us when she saw broken glass or thorns. I’m always so thankful for the amazingly generous people who travel with me to Swaziland.  And I am super excited that Mphilo (and soon her customers) have 3 pairs of well-made sneakers now!

The group decided to go home and shower/pack.  I ran off to see my late friend Sifiso’s 4 year old daughter Sikhanyiso.  Throughout this week there were multiple times when I saw someone from behind with Sifiso’s gait or had to double-take when I saw someone from far away with a similar smile.  I have to sometimes remind myself that I won’t ever see him again, but I see him SO MUCH now in his daughter – they’re twins!!  I gave her mom rent money and bus fare for her to get to school (Thanks Ashela!!) and gave her a beautiful doll that looks like her (Thanks Aleks-Handmade!!). She had the flu and looked very tired; but she is learning a lot in school, starting to understand English and looked excited to see her new doll! 

Tonight I got the most beautiful thank you message from Sizo and I always want to pass it along because nothing is possible without your generosity: “My words always fail me when I say how grateful I am to you, Kait and the donors in the States who have generously and lovingly given their hard earned money to better our world.  Thank you thank you thank you! It is people like you all that make me believe there is such a thing as guardian angels, always there when you need them the most.” 

If you’d like to travel with us to Swaziland, we’d love to have you!  We have trips traveling throughout the year.  Join a team or form your own team.  Everyone is invited!  I’d love to chat with you about the possibilities: anniefightspoverty@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment