Wednesday

Last day with U Iowa


Sorry for the lack of a blog last night.  The internet was down.  And now, the electricity is out… so I’m not sure when I will be able to post this.  But hopefully by the time I’m done writing, the electric will be back. 

This morning is our last morning in eSwatini.  After we pack, we’ll head to the airport.  It’s an odd feeling.  I’m excited to go home to see my daughter and I miss her so much…and my husband.  But a part of me never wants to leave.  I was glancing down in the shower this morning and saw the water coming off my body was a deep red-brown.  Yesterday we walked all over the mountain delivering solar panels to child-headed homes and I was wearing flip flops since I had given all of my shoes away.  With each step, the shoes must have flipped a tiny bit of the beautiful soil onto my legs. I didn’t notice.  This morning, as it is washing down the drain, as crazy as it sounds, I am sad to see it go. 

Yesterday we woke up and drove to the refugee camp. The camp has 205 children – a number of them unaccompanied minors.  They literally have nothing.  And the country struggles so much to support their own people, they are unable to truly help the refugees.  They offer breakfast and lunch (but no dinner) to the children. They don’t offer any preschool support (preschool is $10/mo), the high school fees are very expensive - $500-900 a year.  They only offer adult refugees food (breakfast and lunch) for the first 3 months.  Then, somehow, they are expected to fend for themselves.  Life is hard everywhere in eSwatini… especially the refugee camp.  We delivered materials for the children: teaching supplies, sanitary pads, reusable sanitary pads (thanks Kristen), soap, stuffed animals, soccer balls, books, games, and medical supplies.

Afterward, we went to deliver two more solar panels with Mphilo’s help.  (and now you’re back to the beginning of the story with the dirty legs and the sadness in the shower…) Good news is, the electricity is back on so I can post this…bad news is, it’s time to head to  the airport so I must go and cut the blog short. 

Our next team doesn’t return until December, so there won’t be any new posts until then.  Siyabonga kakhulu (thanks so much) for all of your support!  We couldn’t do any of this without you.  www.ifightpoverty.org/donate.html

No comments:

Post a Comment