Sunday



Day 1: I’ve only been gone 3 months and so much has changed…

We made it to Swaziland today.  I was the chauffer… and surprisingly, I only veered (barely) off the road once despite the fact that I am driving on the other side of the road from the other side of the car in a car that behaves much unlike my Honda Element.  It was only during that split second that Angie, Ty, and Haley showed their fear… and like I said – it happened only once.  If you know me at all, you know that I cannot find my way out of a hole in the ground, BUT – I found our way to the Mbabane guesthouse and to our orphans’ houses in the village tonight. All. By. Myself!!! Kait – I even BACKED my way to Mazwi’s house…in reverse! No joke.  I bypassed 2 MAJOR potholes and by potholes I mean mini-grand canyons.  

I couldn’t wait to see the kids so tonight we took Nosipho and Njabuliso to dinner to celebrate their recent high-school graduation and then played games with Nomfundo, Sizo, Celimphilo, and Mazwi.  One of our girls surprised me tonight with news that she had been raped and is now 4 months pregnant.  She said that she was looking forward to us coming because last month she wanted to commit suicide but knew that she would be able to see us soon and we could give her the strength to keep going.  Broke my heart into a million pieces.  Apparently she knew the rapist and after she informed him of the pregnancy, he told her to get an abortion.  She refused and is now due in April.  She has graduated from high-school (thanks to 6 years of GHFP scholarships) but she has no job, shares a small bed with her younger sister, and rarely has food to eat.  I have no idea how to provide her the support she needs, but I told her that I love her and we are never ever in a million years going to give up on her and her baby….as long as she names it Annie (ha, seriously joking).  I often wonder why I was born where I was to the amazing family I have and have never had to want anything in my entire life.  This amazing girl who is stronger, more incredible, and more giving than I could ever be was born in a village, lost both parents, and will struggle for the rest of her and her baby’s lives.  Another GHFP sponsored orphan was raped and delivered the baby prematurely last month.  He died after 2 days since there is no such thing as NICUs for our village girls.  

The GHFP participants have been quiet.  It’s hard to tell what they’re thinking.  I think they are still taking it all in.  Tomorrow we head to our Pre-School where we will be installing ABC canvases painted by the WinGS women of Jacksonville First Presbyterian Church.  The kids will be so excited!! We’re also delivering FOODOM food and toiletries to the sponsored child-headed families.  The kids told us tonight they haven’t eaten in days.  Our pregnant orphan stated she’s been stealing fruits from trees so she can feed her baby.  Thank you Mitali and the FOODOM grant we’ve received to keep these kids alive!! Going to bed with a heavy heart.  I hope to have a much funnier and uplifting blog tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment